We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2018, Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Get in the know about CO
Research, commissioned for Gas Safety Week, found that only 1 in 5 people said they know that you can’t tell if an appliance is leaking carbon monoxide (CO). To mark this year’s GSW and educate people about the dangers of CO, Gas Safe have created a new video.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. Follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.
- Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk.
Now is a great time to check that your heating is working as it should be, Don’t leave it until the really bad weather arrives to test your heating!
Always leave your heating on for a few hours so your can test if there are any issues.
If you can see the flame on your boiler, check that it is a crisp blue and not a lazy yellow/orange colour.
Check the pressure gauge to make sure the boiler is topped up as it should be.
Don’t forget to check that all radiators are hot at the top and bottom. They may require bleeding if they have not been used for a while. (CNB Gas and Plumbing Services will do this for you as part of a service at no extra charge). You may also notice and slight burning smell, this is often the dust burning off the radiators where it has collected over the summer months.
If you haven’t had your boiler serviced now is a good time to do so, regularly servicing your boiler will ensure years of reliable use and may help to avoid expense break downs repair costs.
If you haven’t already got a carbon monoxide detector fitted in your home, now is the time to invest in one. They usually only cost around £20 and could potentially save lives.
Why not book a service now to ensure your heating is ready for Winter. Call us on 0208 249 7516/ 07976 525333 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
With Winter well and truly here it is important to take a moment to think about your heating system and whether or not it is going to be up to the job this winter.
Don’t forget that looking after your heating system is much like looking after your car, it is important to have it serviced regularly and make sure it passes the safety MOT.
It is also an opportunity for CNB Gas & Plumbing Services Ltd to bleed any radiators and to make sure that the system is working as efficiently as it can be and will not let you down when you need it most.
As we know there is nothing worse than being freezing cold in doors and having no hot water, so make sure you look after your heating system and it will in return look after you.
And most importantly don’t forget to make sure your Carbon Monoxide detector is working, it could save lives and it could make someone you know the perfect stocking filler. Surely potentially saving someone’s life is the best Christmas present there is.
Reduce your heating bills & increase the efficiency of your heating system in 3 simple, cost effective ways:
1) Powerflush your system – Removes the build up of rust, Sludge, Limescale and corrosive that deposit in your heating system over time. Now only £349 including up to 10 radiators, a magaclean or spirotech filter and chemicals. During April and May 2013.
2) Install Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV’s) – which regulate the hot water entering your radiator. Keep rooms at your desired temperature, so not wasting valuable energy.
3) Fit new heating controls – which make sure the boiler is only turned on when it needs to be.
Contact CNB Gas & Plumbing Services Ltd now on 0208 249 7516 / 07976 525333/ email@example.com for a free, no obligation quotation or visit us at www.cnbgas.co.uk